QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1985|回复: 5

[原创] 七位中国科学家获HHMI资助 外媒赞中国豪掷巨额研发资金始获回报

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-1-26 18:06 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册登录,享用更多感控资源,助你轻松入门。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册 |

Global Research Awards Showcase China’s Gains and Efforts to Retain ScientistsBy MICHAEL WINESPublished: January 24, 2012
  • Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.

Now comes a hint that that effort is beginning to pay off.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, one of the world’s most prestigious research foundations, announced Tuesday that it was honoring 28 biomedical researchers who studied in the United States and then returned to their home nations. Each will receive a five-year research grant of $650,000.
Seven — more than any other nation — are from China.
“They’re incredibly energetic, extremely smart, highly productive and accomplished,” Robert Tjian, president of the institute, said of the Chinese winners in a telephone interview. The 28 are receiving the institute’s first International Early Career Scientist awards.
Founded in 1953 by the eccentric industrialist Howard Hughes, the institute, headquartered in Maryland, is one of the largest philanthropies supporting biomedical research. With an endowment of $17.5 billion, it dispenses about $700 million a year in grants to more than 350 researchers.
Portugal and Spain are each home to five of the winners of the new award. Dr. Tjian said those nations and China have made unusually strong efforts to excel in biomedical research. Italy and South Africa had two winners each, and Brazil, Poland, India, Hungary, Chile, South Korea, and Argentina each had one. The number of applications submitted by scientists from China was matched or nearly matched by scientists in some of the other eligible countries, the institute said.
Four of the seven Chinese winners work at China’s new National Institute of Biological Sciences, which is led by an American-educated scientist, Wang Xiaodong. The remaining three work at Beijing’s Tsinghua University, the Wuhan Institute of Physics and Mathematics in Hubei Province, and Nankai University in Tianjin.
Their research disciplines range from cell genetics to cell proteins and cell mechanics; from immune systems’ behavior to the human genome.
The international awards are an offshoot of a similar Hughes Institute program aimed at promising American scientists. The vast bulk of Hughes grants go to American-based research, Mr. Tjian said, but officials wanted to encourage work in other nations that are supporting high-level science and encourage collaboration between scientists in different nations. They also hope to promote American research tenets — challenging conventional wisdom and authority; rigorous discipline; transparency — abroad.
The number of winners from China, he said, reflects China’s “big investment in research” as well as other factors.
“Young people go where they can flourish the best,” he said. “And those countries have been able to attract young scientists trained in the U.S. to go back.”
“That’s a big hurdle. It used to be that people thought people came here and never went back. But I think now that is starting to change.”
Some of the award winners agreed. “I think it’s very obvious in recent years, and we’re very happy to see that,” Wang Xiaochen, a former doctoral student at the University of Colorado who is now at Beijing’s National Institute of Biological Sciences.
While many if not most Chinese doctoral students who choose to remain in the United States after their studies, she said, in China, “I don’t have to apply for a grant,” while in the United States “the funding situation already is very tough.”
“I think I’d have opportunities, but I’d have to spend a lot of time applying for funding. Here, I don’t have to apply for my own funding. So it’s an easy decision for me,” she said.
Competing for research financing serves a purpose, helping identify worthwhile projects. The United States remains by far the preeminent scientific research locale, financing more than one third of research and development worldwide last year, according to the Battelle Memorial Institute, which is based in Columbus, Ohio, and manages 14 American research laboratories and one in Switzerland.
But a 2010 Battelle report stated that American spending on research was reaching a plateau, while China was overtaking Japan as the second-largest financier of scientific work. Over all, the report stated, the United States spent close to $396 billion on research and development in 2010, compared to about $141 billion in China.
China’s expenses are rising quickly — about 9 percent in 2010-11, the report estimated — while American spending was projected to rise at a 2.7 percent rate.
Many federal research agencies received budget cuts last year, including the White House Office of Science and Technology, which was sliced 30 percent after the Republican-controlled House of Representatives expressed unhappiness over American scientific exchanges with China.
The chairman of the House committee supervising that budget, Representative Frank R. Wolf of Virginia, called such exchanges “a bilateral program with Stalin.”

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-1-26 18:07 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 蓝鱼o_0 于 2012-1-26 18:08 编辑

链接地址:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/2 ... ogy-gains.html?_r=1

感谢丁香园RISET提供的新闻快讯。

近年来,中国政府豪掷巨额资金用于建立顶级研究平台,希望藉此留住最优秀的科学家安心工作,并吸引海外学者回国进行研究。如今,中国政府的这些投入终于有了回报。

霍华德·休斯医学研究所(HHMI)是全球规模最大的非营利性医学研究所,该研究所设立的基金也是世界最具声望的研究基金之一。1月24日,研究所宣布将对28位此前曾在美国进行研究而后又返回祖国工作的科学家进行资助。这些科学家在为期5年的研究周期内将获得65万美元的研究基金。

其中有七位来自中国,这一数字在所有国家中是最高的。

HHMI的主任Robert Tjian在电话面试一些来自中国的申请者时称赞道:“这些科学家精力充沛、天资聪颖、成果丰盈、成就卓著。”共有28位科学家入选了研究所第一届国际早期职业科学家资助计划。葡萄牙和西班牙各有5位科学家入选,意大利和南非各有两位科学家入选。巴西、波兰。印度、匈牙利、智利、韩国以及阿根廷各有一位入选。研究所表示,来自中国的申请几乎和其他所有国家的总和一样多。

中国获得HHMI资助的7位科学家分别是:清华大学教授颜宁,北京生命科学研究所高级研究员王晓晨、邵峰、张宏、朱冰,中科院武汉物理与数学研究所研究员唐淳,南开大学教授胡俊杰。这些科学家的研究领域涉猎广泛,既有细胞遗传学、蛋白,也有免疫系统行为研究和人类基因组研究。

Robert Tjian表示,来自中国的科学家的数目领衔其他国家反映了中国在研究领域的巨大投入。

数据表明近年美国对研发的投入保持在稳定水平,而中国对科研的资助力度已超越日本排名世界第二。2010年,美国的研发投入约为2960亿美元。中国的投入为1410亿美元。

除此之外,中国投入的增长十分快速,相较2010年,2011年增长了9%,而美国预计仅增长2.7个百分点。

关于HHMI:休斯医学研究所基金会仅次于比尔与梅林达盖茨基金会。两大基金会宗旨各异,B&M是雪中送炭,而HHMI则为锦上添花,自1998年以来,HHMI已经拨款15亿美元用于支持医学研究与教育。该基金会拥有318名研究员,大多来自全美一流学府,其中不乏大师级学界泰斗(包括7位诺贝尔奖得主)及才华横溢的新星。入选的二十几位华裔研究员全都是各自专业领域中的姣姣者。HHMI支持范围包括数百个国际一流实验室,为每位研究员提供大约100万/年研究经费,以支持创造性但高风险的研究工作,并使这些科学家集中精力,不必再为申请NIH基金分心。医学及本科基础教育亦属于支持范围。HHMI与联邦主要医学生物学基金管理机构国立卫生研究院(NIH)既有互补(如2001年以来HHMI对骨髓干细胞研究的重点支持),又有协作(Projects And The Funding Mechanisms),相得益彰。

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-1-27 01:09 | 显示全部楼层
未来世界的竞争就是人才之争
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-1-27 10:35 | 显示全部楼层
中国人是勤劳、聪明的,希望各级部门都要给于科研人才平台,发挥、挖掘、保护、支持、爱护人才。
正像楼上老师所讲:未来世界的竞争就是人才之争
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-1-27 10:37 | 显示全部楼层